Monday 28 February 2011

Does it get any easier?

It's been a long, long week.

Have struggled to find a balance between getting ready for this work trip to the US and keeping the tears at bay.

It somehow feels vacuous to be worrying about media releases and pleasing our New York office when such tragic stories of death and loss have been filtering through. Maybe there's also a touch of survivor's guilt mixed in there - for my good fortune while so many of my countrymen and women have had their hearts ripped out. All I know is that I have never felt so gutted, empty and distracted in my life.

Don't get me wrong, I realise how lucky I am blagging this trip but, cards on the table, the only thing providing forward momentum this week is the thought of being able to hold Molly close to me.

On a more practical note, I've donated my Friday/Saturday night drinking money for the next wee while to the BNZ's fundraising appeal. It's a rubbish effort but from this far afield, it's all I can do. It probably smacks of my Catholic upbringing (you can take the girl out of the church...) but I wanted a gesture that requires a real sacrifice because these days, the only incentive for getting to the rump end of the week is gallons of red wine.

If you have the capacity, I'd urge you to donate too...

(Pic: Rockclimbing.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...