Saturday 24 December 2011

Christmas Downunder

Dear New Zealand Advertising Person,

I hate to be a Christmas grinch but I wondered if you'd noticed that, here in the Southern Hemisphere, it's actually summer?

Look around and you'll note the distinct absence of snow, reindeer or chestnuts roasting on an open fire. So why, year after year, do you insist on using these concepts in your advertising?

I've worked for two advertising agencies in my time, I know it's hard to walk away from the tried and true; a winter Xmas is the go-to concept when you can't be arsed to think.

But surely the good people Down Under deserve better. Please don't ask me to buy a gingerbread cappuccino, spicy mulled wine or toasty mittens, and don't illustrate your ads with fake snow and rosy cheeked, scarf-wearing folk. What I need you to sell me is an ice cold beer, a sun hat and a barbie.

There is a point in most lives where it has to be acknowledged that the old model no longer works, that it's time for a change. Let's make 2012 that year...

Yours etc

Disgruntled of Mt Vic

(Pic credit: Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...