Sunday 22 July 2012

A year...


A year ago today, there was rain.

We packed our suitcases, dropped off a duvet and a kettle at our friend Gina's house, and clambered aboard a National Express bus for the two-hour ride to Heathrow and the 28 hour flight home.

Everything felt a bit odd: exciting but with the kind of slight stomach-churning you get when you're on the cusp of a big, scary adventure.

It's only been a year since we left Bristol but it feels like a lifetime ago. So much has happened and I feel swept away, grinning and willing, by the rhythm of our new lives.

I think back to the post I wrote this time last year, about Bristol, and how restrained I tried to be in not bagging the terrible economy, the horrid flat we lived in and how miserable I was. How my life has changed, how I have changed! When I got home, New Zealand poured me a big glass of perspective and I now realise how very fortunate I am to live in a country with few people to ruin the view, with a strong(ish) economy and better wages, where I can be a big fish in a small pond and own a house I could never afford anywhere else.

Of course, I miss my beautiful friends Anita, Frenchie and Yoma – I have yet to find such cool chicks here. And I will always yearn for the nearness of exciting European travel destinations. But as I get older, things like decent housing, a lack of crowds and the state of the economy get higher up the totem pole of importance.

As I type this, I am anticipating a return visit to the UK, which fills me with joy. But a year after I left, I can't believe my luck in landing in a place that fits me so snugly. I am very happy, and proud, to call Wellington home.


3 comments:

  1. OMG, it's been a year?! Gosh that's gone quickly and you're right, you guys have achieved so much! Congrats on your year anniversary home and we are so glad to have you back

    Mel xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey I can't believe how long it's been! Well you certainly left your mark here, one big bestie shopping buddie gap to fill. I know you will tell me off but I did buy you some more little bits today at the boot. I felt you needed them in your life :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, I LOVE you GF!!! Did you get the updated list? Will sort you out this week...btw, have you sent the other parcels? Looking forward to receiving those. Might also have some BIG news for you!!!

    SSxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...