Tuesday 6 November 2012

Joy and jubilation

No one likes a show off BUT I have been unable to stop grinning like a loon since I got an email from the editor of North and South Magazine to say that I had won their Places in the Heart writing competition!

Whilst I've freelanced for NZ's best read monthly current affairs and lifestyle magazine* for years, it's always been in a journalism capacity, never in 'creative' non-fiction, which is what the competition requires. I'm not sure why I decided to enter this year, but give it a go I did, scribbling down 600 words about a place that had impacted my life. And blow me down if I didn't win!

The piece is being run in next month's issue (out next week) and the prize money will no doubt be thrown at an airline ticket.

Stoked? Doesn't even come close...

* Nielsen National Readership Survey (Mar 09-Apr 2010)

   

2 comments:

  1. Woo hooo!! Go you good thing! That's wicked news.Congrats and look forward to reading it.

    Mel xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hon, thanks so much for your kind words. The Dec issue is out next week so I'll pdf it on this here blog for your reading pleasure.

    Makes me wonder if I've been doing the 'wrong' type of writing all these years?!

    Ssx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...