Tuesday 12 November 2013

Tardis and white roses

How a conversation with a 20-something colleague went today:

Him: "I love being this age and never want to get older. Shazzy, do you ever wish you could go back to your 20s?"

Me: "If I found a tardis that could take me back to my 20s, I would grab a hammer and smash it beyond all recognition before setting it alight."

Him: "Wow, so you didn't enjoy your 20s then?"

Me: "God yes, especially the living in London and seeing the world through a drunken haze bit. But being poor and a smart-arse, despite knowing absolutely nothing, drowning in a sea of hormones and inane anxiety, thinking society owed me and being crippled by a lack of confidence, yet still behaving like an arrogant, immature brat, as pretty much every 20-year-old on the planet does? Hell to the no..."

Him: "When you put it like that...."

As a sign of my increasing maturity, the thing that filled me with the most joy today were my white roses. I am about as far removed from Maggie Barry as it's possible to be, but I have been on rose watch for the past two weeks, ever since the buds first pushed their tiny faces towards the sun.

Soon, very soon, pitchers of them will fill every available surface, and their fragrance will hang like a heavy quilt over the house.

Give me white roses and a birthday cake weighed down with candles any day...


 

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you, GF! The other day at work we were talking about music and some silly 20-something had never heard of Elvis Costello, while another was equally ignorant of The Clash! The "yoof" of today make me glad I am the age I am!

    Mel xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSSS!!!!!!!! You have hit the nail on the proverbial head. A young 'un the other day had never heard of the classic movie The Breakfast Club or Frankie Goes to Hollywood! It was all I could do to keep myself from slapping him. And I'm so glad to say goodbye to the days of making $20 last three days until payday. God, they're welcome to all that crap....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...